This course is broken into a day of C language review, including variable naming, usage, and modifiers as well as an introduction to the Software Development Kit (SDK) environment, an explanation of the use of the preprocessors, program control, and proper use of functions. The second day consists of common issues and techniques employed by embedded programmers in the Xilinx SDK environment. This comprehensive course equally balances lecture modules with practical hands-on lab work.
Who should attend?Programmers and software engineers looking to reinforce their C skills for the embedded environment and hardware engineers interested in software engineering basics
• Basic familiarity with embedded systems
• Basic background in programming
• Xilinx ISE® Design Suite: Embedded Edition 14.2
Skills Gained: After completing this training, you will be able to:
• Recognize C language symbology
• Design an effective C language program for the embedded environment
• Identify the nuances between functions and macros
• Effectively utilize numeric techniques
• Debug software using the GNU debugging tool in the SDK software environment
Lab 1: SDK Environment – Walks you through the process of configuring the hardware through SDK, building a simple application, and verifying that it works.
Lab 2: Writing a Simple Program – Examine a piece of existing code, then complete the program using the skills developed in the previous lecture modules.
Lab 3: Debugging Dynamic Memory – Guides you through the phases of debugging a program with memory leaks.
Lab 4: Debugging Stack Issues – Debug stack issues, another common problem.
Lab 5: Driving Xilinx Hardware – Combine the abstraction of programming with actual hardware to drive the LEDs on the demo board.
1. The C Language
2. SDK Environment
Lab 1: SDK Environment
3. C Preprocessor
5. Control Structures
Lab 2: Writing a Simple Program
6. Functions and Libraries
7. Program Design
8. Common Errors
9. Debugging Strategies
10. Dynamic Memory
Lab 3: Debugging Dynamic Memory
11. The Stack
Lab 4: Debugging Stack Issues
12. Numeric Techniques
13. The Xilinx Embedded Environment