The workshop introduces you to fundamental DSP concepts, algorithms, and techniques for implementation in Xilinx FPGAs. Design examples and labs are drawn from several common applications spaces, including wireless communications, video, and imaging.
Only essential theory is introduced in order to lay a foundation for the material and topics covered in this workshop, which complements more detailed training found in subsequent Xilinx courses.
The material is also complementary to the Avnet SpeedWay Design Workshop on FPGA-Based System Design with High-Speed Data Converters.
Who should attend?FPGA designers and logic designers
- VHDL or Verilog experience or Designing with VHDL or Designing with Verilog course
- FPGA design experience or Essentials of FPGA Design course
- Fundamental understanding of digital signal processing theory
- Fundamental understanding of FIR filter and FFT theory
- Very basic understanding of FPGA architecture
Xilinx ISE® Design Suite: DSP or System Edition 13.1
Architecture: Spartan®-6 and Virtex®-6 FPGAs*
Demo board: Spartan-6 FPGA SP605 or Virtex-6 FPGA ML605 board*
Skills Gained: After completing this training, you will be able to:
- Describe some fundamental DSP concepts, algorithms and techniques for implementation in Xilinx FPGAs
- Recognize how both the CLB slices in FPGAs and the more advanced DSP48s are used to implement DSP algorithms
- Identify the contents and operation of the Xilinx FPGA DSP Targeted Design Platform (TDP)
- Construct typical DSP designs using the Xilinx design and simulation tools and implement these designs on target hardware
- Identify additional courses and workshops to further your training with Xilinx devices
Lab 1: Introduction to System Generator – In this lab, you will create a simple modulation system that will consist of a Direct Digital Synthesizer (DDS) module for generating a sine wave and a multiplier created using a DSP48.
Lab 2: Filter and FFT Design – In this lab, two important blocks are examined: the FIR Compile and FFT. The design includes serialization of parallel data and up sampling and filtering the data. The lab also presents how to use and configure the FFT block.
Lab 3: DSP Targeted Design Platform – This lab illustrates a WCDMA single carrier DUC / DDC design based on a reference design in Application Note XAPP1018. Hardware co-simulation is also performed.
Lab 4: Video Processing and Shared Memory – This lab demonstrates using DSP System Generator in a video processing design as well as utilizing hardware co-simulation with shared memory.
1. Workshop Overview
2. Virtex-6 and Spartan-6 FPGA Architecture
3. DSP Essentials
Lab 1: Introduction to System Generator
4. System Generator Design Flow
Lab 2: Filter and FFT Design
5. FFT Basics
Lab 3: DSP Targeted Design Platform
6. Video and Imaging IP